Friday 3 February 2012

Snap Math Fair


     After finishing my lesson, I decided to search on the internet for other ideas on the topic of math games, just for fun as well as to find some new games to purchase… just for fun. I came across something called aSnap Math Fair which looks like a science fair at a glance. Students have displays complete with poster boards full of pictures, artifacts, and of course tables to put all their stuff on. People come to visit their stations and learn about their math puzzles. The students at each station are experts at their puzzle and they help the visitors, essentially acting as facilitators.
            This idea is an amazing tool for teachers! Not only do students reap the benefits of playing a math puzzle (such as thinking in new ways, expanding their brain power, and improving logic skills), they also get to gain confidence in their mathematical abilities by becoming the experts. Then they share this fun discovery with others making math as contagious as a smile… well people will be smiling. ; )

          I will stop here, but my mind continues on with ideas for this new tool. I will put it in my bag of tricks, leaving it near the top of the pile. This one’s a doozy!   

No comments:

Post a Comment